The ALC’s series of short courses have been designed to respond to a gap in the practitioner/NGO environment on the African continent. It is very often the case that development practitioners who are on the ground and directly confronting issues at the intersection of peace, security and development, are the last to benefit from up-to-the-moment research and knowledge from academic and research institutions. More often still, whatever information and knowledge they acquire is overloaded with perspectives which are not placed within contexts that are appropriate to bring about change. While these perspectives are useful, they rarely provide a framework for bringing about transformative change at the grassroots.
The ALC’s training programs seek to respond directly by offering carefully crafted courses based on the Centre’s research, to practitioners working on the ground on the African continent. These courses offer a distinctly African perspective to the challenges that plague the continent, and utilise a methodology that encourages participants to use their specific contexts and realities to begin to respond to these challenges.
The ALC’s training methodology is premised on delivering leading research-based content to practitioners, using facilitation and coaching techniques to aid the process of reflection and knowledge retention. The training unit focuses on two methods of delivery:
- Training sessions/courses provided to professional individuals based in Nairobi and in other parts of Africa: The Centre is well placed to deliver its courses to individuals based in Africa, working on various issues related to peace and security from the organizations location in Nairobi.
- Customized training programmes: The second mode of course delivery offered, are customized training programmes delivered to staff members of specific organizations. The ALC organizes courses for these organizations using their unique contexts and specializations as a backdrop, to make for a richer learning experience.
The ALC currently offers courses in the following thematic areas, with new courses to follow shortly. Courses can also be custom-designed to suit specific need areas as required:
- Strategic Communications in Peace & Security
- African Women and the Leadership Process
- Leadership in Peace Operations
- Gender, Security and Society
- Leadership and Peace-building in Africa
- Leadership and Society
The ALC has delivered the following courses to date, among others:
- Course on Leadership and Society. October 17, 2013 to October 27, 2013. Course on Leadership and Society, delivered to practitioners from southern Africa working in the NGO environment. The delivery of this course was funded with generous support from the Open Society Institute for Souther Africa (OSISA).
- Forum of Women Leaders of Ekiti State Nigeria, Nairobi, Kenya. August 15, 2012 to August 20, 2012 inclusive. Training course on Women and the Leadership Process.
- United Nations Africa Peace Operations Staff, Nairobi, Kenya. October 17, 2011 to October 21, 2011 inclusive. Training course on Leadership, Team Work and Team Management in Peace Operations. (in collaboration with UNITAR)
- Nigerian Army Peacekeeping Center (NAPKC), Jaji, Nigeria. February 28, 2011 to March 4, 2011 inclusive. Training of Trainers course and its corresponding pilot course, on “Leadership, Team Work and Team Management.” (in collaboration with UNITAR)
- Rwanda Peace Academy (RPA), Musanze, Nyakinama, Northern Province, Rwanda. January 17, 2011 to January 28, 2011 inclusive. Training of Trainers course and its corresponding Pilot Course on “Understanding Conflict and Conflict Analysis.” (in collaboration with UNITAR)
- Angie Brooks International Centre for Women’s Empowerment (ABIC), and the Gabriel L. Dennis Foreign Service Institute, Monrovia, Liberia. January 10, 2011 to January 14, 2011 inclusive. Training of Trainers course and its corresponding Pilot Course on “The Protection of Civilians in Peace Operations.” (in collaboration with UNITAR)
Leadership and Society Course - January 17 to 24, 2015
The application period for this course is now closed. If you would like to be added to our email distribution list for future training events, please click the link below and fill the form .