Communication and Multi-Media Intern
Description of the role
The African Leadership Centre (ALC), Nairobi, Kenya, seeks a communication and multi-media Intern to work as part of the Centre’s Strategic Communications team. The individual’s main task will be providing support towards the implementation of the Centre’s Strategic Communication’s plan.
The intern will be part of ALC’s staff and will work closely with ALC Strategic Communications team and ALC Pan-African Radio team, on a range of tasks including:
- Providing logistical support to the organization of visibility and knowledge-sharing activities.
- Support conceptualisation and development of digital multi-media content for the ALC website and affiliated websites i.e. ALC Pan-African Radio and ALC Alumni network website.
- Contributing creative ideas to reach and engage different audiences in Africa and around the globe.
- Regular update and maintenance of ALC websites and affiliate social media platforms i.e., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, i-Tunes, Tune-in and Sound Cloud and any other platforms that may to be developed.
- Multi-media monitoring of content from internal as well as external sources specifically for ALC-interest and related stories and provide regular reports.
- Monitor and track outcomes of ALC communications activities.
- Multi-media content production and post-production i.e., recording, editing and broadcast video, photography and audio content for ALC communication platforms.
- Overall support to the communications office including but not limited to maintenance/administration including maintaining filing and documentation system.
- Assisting with ALC internal and external communications.
- Providing research assistance to the ALC research teams where relevant.
- Experience in web writing and editing, project and event management, audio-visual production and editing are particularly desirable. Proficiency in sony-vegas, final cut and logic pro for video, photo and audio editing is preferred;
- Excellent computer skills with particular interest and familiarity with social media;
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English (ability to speak or write in any of the other languages widely spoken in Africa, e.g. French, Portuguese, or Kiswahili will be an added advantage);
- Strong writing and analysis skills;
- Strong administrative, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task;
- Ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural environment, as a member of a team;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and discretion in the execution of duties;
- Graduate-level degree programme in media and or communications field will be an added advantage; and
- Broad knowledge of peace, security, development, international relations and African Affairs is desirable.
The Intern will be engaged for a period of 6 - months, renewable for an additional 6-months. Renewal is subject to satisfactory performance and available funds. The position is intended for local hire recruitment and the intern will be working on a full-time working basis.
Commensurate with experience and ALC salary structures.
All applicants wishing to be considered for the position are required to supply the following documents in English.
- A written cover letter;
- A detailed CV describing the candidate’s professional and academic experience; up-to-date contacts (email & phone) of at least two referees’ preferably one professional and the other from the applicant’s academic experience; and
- Copies of relevant academic certificates.
The ALC is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to ensuring diversity in its staff and does not discriminate in its hiring practice. For more information about the ALC, visit our website: www.africanleadershipcentre.org